Increase your hand if you happen to loveeeee mac and cheese.
As a child, my Dad would at all times make me macaroni and cheese made with sharp or white cheddar, plus LOTS and plenty of pepper. If I have been fortunate, he would add peas (as a result of I liked them greater than another veggie on the earth.)
Now that I’m into full-on #adulting, I LOVE when my mac and cheese is filled with something just a bit bit distinctive: truffle mac and cheese, vegan mac and cheese, mac and cheese with a Ritz cracker topping, mac and cheese with brussels, BUFFALO cauliflower mac, or perhaps a traditional broccoli cheddar mac and cheese. Can mac and cheese be its personal meals group but?
I believed I’d convey you one other distinctive twist on mac and cheese that I’m completely in love with: Southwest tuna mac and cheese with spicy flavors and distinctive umami taste. Belief me, I do know that it sounds slightly loopy, however I promise you it’s one of many BEST mac and cheese recipes you’ll ever make.
Substances in tuna mac and cheese
Not solely is that this tuna mac and cheese filled with taste, but it surely additionally makes use of easy components and pantry staples that you just would possibly have already got on-hand. The additional protein makes this a scrumptious, wholesome tuna mac and cheese dinner!
- Elbow macaroni: you should use gluten free, complete grain or common noodles. I actually love the chickpea pasta due to the additional fiber however complete grain is great, too.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: I like to make use of a block of cheddar as a result of it melts a lot simpler. I don’t advocate utilizing pre-shredded cheddar for this recipe however somewhat shred or dice it your self.
- Flour: I used complete wheat pastry flour to assist make a superbly thick cheese sauce for the tuna mac and cheese. It’s also possible to use all function or gluten free all function flour!
- Tuna: I AM IN LOVE with the tuna on this recipe. It provides an fascinating savory umami taste that I can’t get sufficient of, to not point out tons of protein. You should utilize yellowfin or albacore tuna on this scrumptious recipe.
- Taco seasoning: I made a decision to make use of a packet of natural taco seasoning to season the mac and cheese as a result of that’s what I had in my cabinet, nevertheless, my DIY taco seasoning is ideal for this recipe!
- Black beans: these beans are another excuse I like this recipe. The fiber and protein within the beans assist to maintain you full and add a southwest aptitude to the recipe.
- Milk: be happy to make use of any milk you’d like on this recipe (though I wouldn’t use skim). Once I first made this recipe I selected to make use of unsweetened cashew milk as a result of it’s extremely creamy and provides superb taste to the mac and cheese.
Customise your tuna mac and cheese
This simple tuna mac and cheese is nice for customizing to your style preferences and what you could have readily available! Right here’s what I can advocate:
- Go gluten free: merely use your favourite gluten free pasta form like this one, in addition to gluten free all function flour.
- Attempt it dairy free: as an alternative of cheese you could possibly add my cashew cheese sauce for a dairy free choice.
- Add some veggies: be happy to fold in veggies like peas (so nostalgic) mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, and even diced jalapeño.
Can I make it vegetarian?
Certain! Merely omit the tuna and benefit from the protein that black beans present. Be happy so as to add an additional can of black beans if you happen to’d like.
The way to make tuna mac and cheese on the stovetop
- Cook dinner the pasta. First boil the noodles till al dente, then drain them and set them apart.
- Make a slurry. Whereas the pasta is boiling, you’ll make a slurry (or a roux) by melting butter in a pot or skillet with garlic. Whisk within the flour and onion powder & stir till a paste types. Then slowly add within the milk, whisking away any lumps so it’s good and easy.
- Thicken the sauce. Enhance the warmth and produce your combination to a boil, then scale back warmth and simmer for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally, till the sauce thickens up just like a gravy
- Cheese it up. Subsequent, add within the cheese and taco seasoning and stir till fully melted.
- Combine within the mac. Lastly fold in cooked noodles, black beans and drained tuna and blend till effectively mixed.
- Broil & serve. Prime with the remainder of the cheese, then both combine it in or place your skillet underneath the broiler for 1-2 minutes till the cheese is bubbly and barely golden. Prime with recent herbs like parsley or cilantro and sizzling sauce if you happen to’d like, and serve!
You’ll be able to retailer any leftover tuna macaroni and cheese within the fridge for as much as 4-5 days. Merely reheat within the microwave.
I do know you’re going to love this filling consolation meals tuna mac and cheese. It’s great on a comfy night and nice for reheating too. I like to recommend topping it with sizzling sauce and cilantro!
Extra cozy dinners you’ll love
Get all of my dinner recipes right here!
For those who make this simple tuna mac and cheese recipe, you should definitely depart a remark and fee the recipe beneath letting me understand how you prefer it. It’s also possible to add a photograph and tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram! xo.
Stovetop Southwest Tuna Mac and Cheese
A southwest impressed model of tuna mac and cheese with taco seasoning, black beans, yellowfin tuna and loads of cheese. This creamy, spicy tuna mac and cheese recipe comes collectively in simply half-hour and is filled with protein. Excellent for weeknight dinners, sport day or anytime you could have a consolation meals craving!
elbow noodles (or no matter noodles you want)
complete wheat pastry flour (or sub common flour or GF all function flour)
unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- Salt and pepper, to style
sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese)
(1.1 ounce) packet taco seasoning (ideally natural)*
(15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
(5 ounce) can yellowfin or albacore tuna, drained
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and reserved for the topping (or about ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese)
- To garnish:
- Chopped recent cilantro
- Scorching sauce, if desired
First boil the noodles till al dente, based on the instructions on the package deal. As soon as accomplished cooking, drain and put aside.
Whereas the noodles are boiling, make a slurry: In a big oven protected skillet or pot add butter and garlic. As soon as butter is melted, whisk within the flour and onion powder and prepare dinner for 30 seconds till a paste types. Slowly add in cashew milk, whisking away any lumps.
Enhance warmth and produce combination to a boil, then scale back warmth and simmer for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally, till the sauce thickens up just like a gravy
Subsequent add in 6 oz cheese and 1 packet of taco seasoning and stir till fully melted.
Lastly fold in cooked noodles, black beans and drained tuna and blend till effectively mixed.
Prime with 2 ounces of shredded cheddar. At this level you’ll be able to both serve the mac and cheese and simply fold within the additional cheddar you simply added, or take away from warmth and place underneath the broiler for 1-2 minutes or till cheese is bubbly and barely golden. Serves 6. Prime with cilantro and sizzling sauce if desired!
*To make your personal taco seasoning: use my go-to recipe right here!
To make dairy free: be happy to make use of my cashew cheese sauce as an alternative of constructing the cheese sauce for this recipe.
See the complete publish for much more methods to customise this recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
Serving measurement: 1 serving
Saturated fats: 10.6g
This publish was initially revealed on October thirtieth, 2017, republished on April 1st, 2020, and republished on September twenty eighth, 2022.